Dangers You Never Thought of While Shopping, Plus 5 Tips to Protect Yourself!
Dangers You Never Thought of While Shopping, Plus 5 TIPS to Protect Yourself!
- Stay aware of your surroundings by scanning your environment. No matter how busy you are, do not allow your mind to wander. It might seem important in the moment to be making a to-do list in your head, but if you are worrying if you will have time to stop at the specialty food store on your way home to pick up appetizers for tomorrow’s party you might not notice someone following you to your vehicle.
- Park in well lit areas - even if it means that you have to walk a bit further. It is best to avoid shopping after the sun has gone down, but if you must try to bring a friend or family member along with you. When you park, avoid parking next to vans, trucks with camper shells, or cars with tinted windows. You want to keep your car as visible to as many people as possible and as such you should also avoid parking next to tall shrubs or plants that could block views of your vehicle.
- Don't wear your purse so that the strap crosses your body. Wearing a purse strap across your body makes you more connected to your bag. If someone tries to steal your purse, you will be pulled with the strap. You can become unbalanced and put into a vulnerable position or you could end up in a physical altercation with the assailant. If your purse is draped on one shoulder you can easily let go of it.
- Don't hesitate to ask a security guard to walk you to your car. If you are shopping at night and the crowds at the mall have thinned out for the day, taking an extra step to stay safe is always a good idea. Or, plan ahead and pay the few extra dollars to valet park your car so you do not have to walk to it alone with arms full of bags.
- Dress casually and comfortably. The mall during holiday shopping season is not the time to make a fashion statement. It is better to leave the high heels and flashy statement making pieces at home. Jeans and sneakers will help you blend in and if needed enable you to make a quick getaway. Also, avoid wearing large and expensive looking jewelry that can draw additional attention to you.
About Krav Maga Worldwide
Founded in 1997 to promote Krav Maga throughout the United States and around the world, Krav Maga Worldwide trains and certifies instructors and licenses over 150 authorized Krav Maga Worldwide training centers in the United States, Canada, Japan, Mexico, South America, and Europe, as well as over 800 law enforcement agencies and military units. Krav Maga offers the highest caliber of instruction to thousands of people, supporting the company’s core commitment to improving and saving lives. Krav Maga Worldwide continues to develop, promote and implement self-defense and fitness programs. For additional information, visit: www.kravmaga.com.